Sen. Chuck Schumer announced on Sunday 9/11 that he would seek $3 billion to bail out the financially strapped 9/11 health-care fund.
The fund is used to pay the soaring health care costs of survivors of the 9/11 attacks and for the thousands of first responders who worked at ground zero is the aftermath of the attack.
On the 20th anniversary of the attacks last year, the Department of Justice acknowledged that more people — both first-responders and those who live ad work in Lower Manhattan — had died from health-related illness at Ground Zero than from the actual terror attack.
The attack killed 2,996 people, while more than 3,300 also died from health-related issues.
The 9/11 funding announcement comes as New York Mayor Eric Adams is refusing to release damning documents on what the city knew about the dangerous air and health hazards at ground zero — unless the city is granted immunity from lawsuits.
“It has been 21 years since 9/11, and the city has still not come forward with information about what it knew in the aftermath of the attacks. There are thousands of 9/11 responders and survivors who have the right to this information,” Rep. Carolyn Maloney said in a statement last week.
City lawyers have told Maloney that Adams might divulge the documents if the feds grant the city immunity from further litigation.
It’s one thing for these first responding survivors to be harmed by the attack, it’s a whole other disaster that our government is covering up documents that could help them now.
It’s time for NYC politicians to stop playing games with the 9/11 survivors and let’s get them everything they need.